An easy, flavorful one pot pasta with sausage and broccoli for an all-in-one dinner!
Hi there! It’s Kathryn from Family Food on the Table with another guest post for the lovely Shawn.
Since it’s August, and since that means back-to-school time for a lot of us, I wanted to bring you a quick and easy all-in-one meal.
With pasta. And sausage. And cheese. (And broccoli for good measure 😉)
I make a one-pot vegetarian spaghetti for an easy, meatless Monday meal. It’s light but super filling and a great way to reset after a weekend of wining and dining.
But as we are carnivores in my house, I also love a one-pot pasta with meat.
And this one-pot pasta with sausage is very adaptable. You can use your favorite type of sausage, your favorite pasta shape, add extra cheese and adjust the level of spices to really make it your own!
And if you’re like me, you’ll love that you can get a little bit of every ingredient on your fork – the best, right?!
Here’s a few notes on this one-pot pasta with sausage and broccoli:
- I know it seems strange to put a lid on a pot of pasta, but it’s necessary here to keep the moisture in so the pasta cooks all the way through.
- Be sure to lift the lid and stir the pasta every few minutes to move it around so it all cooks evenly.
- I use hot Italian turkey sausage but you can substitute mild or use a pork sausage.
- You could even use a cooked, flavored chicken sausage for an even faster meal.
- I use whole wheat rotini pasta because I like the shape with the sausage and broccoli mix. You could also use penne or bowtie pasta if you prefer, just check the cooking times and adjust as needed.
- I use fire-roasted diced tomatoes because I love the extra depth of flavor they have, but regular diced tomatoes would be fine, too.
- Like it extra cheesy? Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella at the end and stir to get it melted. Yum!
I hope you’ll give this one-pot pasta dinner a try. It’s a great quick one to whip up on a busy weeknight.
And if most of your weeknights are busy and you always need some last-minute meal ideas, especially for the kiddos, I put together a collection of our favorite easy, quick kid-friendly meals — with a free printable too!
Have a wonderful week!