These 10 minute Pan Roasted Lemon Potatoes with Dill are a Greek inspired side dish.
My husband and I used to eat at this one Greek restaurant all the time when we lived in Arizona. Nearly every meal that was served there came with the most delicious baby potatoes that were roasted in a delightful lemon and dill sauce. I’m fairly certain that every Greek recipe contains some dill.
Last week when I was making these Chicken Souvlaki Pitas for dinner, I spied a small bag of baby potatoes that needed to get used up. It was super hot that day and I didn’t want to crank up my oven to roast them, so I decided to quickly heat the potatoes up in the microwave and finish cooking them in my cast iron skillet with some butter, lemon and dill.
The results were amazing! Everyone gobbled up those tiny pan roasted potatoes!
When I first made these I used baby reds, but the second time I grabbed a bag of baby yellows. Both were delicious, so feel free to use whichever potato you like.
I used the same method for heating up the potatoes that I use for my quick buttermilk mashed potatoes. Just place the potatoes in a microwave safe bowl. Don’t let the potatoes sit on top of each other, and then cover with plastic wrap, being careful not to let the potatoes touch the plastic wrap.
After a few minutes the potatoes will be piping hot. Cut them all in half and they’re ready to be quickly pan roasted.
I love using my cast iron skillet to quickly caramelize the potatoes and get them nice and golden brown. I use this same technique for a recipe in my cookbook. Eek! I love saying that! (coming out June 2015)
Since the potatoes are already fully cooked after coming out of the microwave, it takes just a few minutes to finish them in the skillet. Making this one super quick side dish! No more long waits for the oven to heat up.
You’ll really love this simple, easy and flavorful side dish, I just know it!!
- 1 lb. baby red or yellow potatoes
- 3 to 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tsp fresh snipped dill (I use Gourmet Garden Herbs)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the whole potatoes in a shallow, microwave safe glass bowl in a single layer (you may need to do two batches if they don't all fit). Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, making sure to the potatoes are not touching the plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high for 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Be careful when removing from microwave, as the dish will be very hot. Uncover and slice each potato in half.
- Meanwhile heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. When the skillet is hot toss in the potatoes, 3 tbsp of butter and ½ of the lemon juice, stir to coat the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and the dill. Let the potatoes caramelize in the pan, by stirring just twice per minute, until they are golden brown on all sides. Add more butter and more lemon juice if desired. Enjoy!