This Cheesecake Swirled Brown Sugar Cake is devilishly moist, filled with plump raspberries and blackberries, then topped with a creamy cheesecake swirl and a crisp brown sugar crumble.
This cake is BEYOND delicious. The simple brown sugar cake (hello… lover) is completely moist and perfectly sweetened.
Did you know that June is National Dairy Month? Yes ma’am! I thought what better way to celebrate than to make this scrumptious dessert that’s filled with not 1 but THREE different types of dairy (4 if you count the vanilla ice cream that pairs perfectly with a big slice)(just sayin’)…
This amazing cake is filled with butter (mhmmm), buttermilk (love that tang), and cream cheese (come to mama).
It couldn’t be any easier to make either! There’s three layers we’re working with here, the base (brown sugar cake), the cheesecake swirl, and then a coating of brown sugar crumble.
Your house will smell ahhmazing.
Once you lay down the base cake, you’ll blob on your cheesecake mixture.
Use the handle of a butter knife (as long as it’s somewhat thin, but not too thin), and run it through the cake to make the swirl pattern.
Up and back, down and across… or something like that.
Top with a leeeettle brown sugar topping…
Ok… who am I kidding, that’s a LOT of brown sugar topping, but seriously who doesn’t love a brown sugar crusted top?
I know I do!!
My sweet friend, Heather, came over one evening and brought with her the most glorious Rhubarb Cake. After I tasted it, I asked for the recipe to share (with a few minor tweaks) and she graciously gave it to me.
The cake base is the same recipe her Nana always made, but instead of Rhubarb I added the raspberries and blackberries. I also added the cheesecake swirl (that’s a game changer), but the brown sugar topping is true to original recipe.
She recommended serving it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. No problem!
You guys really need to make this delicious cake, I’m confident you’ll enjoy every last bite!
I know because I just enjoyed another slice for breakfast… wait what?!
- For the Cake:
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup total of raspberries and blackberries
- 8oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tbsp sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9x13inch cake pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Place the butter and 1½ cups brown sugar in the bowl of your mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, and mix until creamy and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine. Combine the flour and baking soda in a bowl, then alternate adding the buttermilk and ½ cup at a time of the flour mixture until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Fold in the raspberries and blackberries very gently, as to not squish them too much. Pour batter into pan and spread into even layer.
- Place the cream cheese, egg yolk, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of your stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until smooth and creamy. Place tablespoons of the mixture on top of the cake all over, then use the dull edge of a butter knife and run it up and down the cake, then back and forth to create a swirled effect.
- Combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and melted butter in a bowl and stir to combine. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over the top of the cake evenly.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely then enjoy!
Disclaimer: I am a proud ambassador for Arizona Milk Producers. Thank you for supporting the brands that make I Wash You Dry possible. As always, all thoughts are 100% my own.