You’re just 20 minutes away from a delicious, cheesy, One Skillet Baked Ziti. Even the pasta gets cooked in the skillet!
Did I mention it’s just 5 ingredients?!
I’m in love with simple dinners, and this one left stars in my eyes. It couldn’t be any easier to make, since even the pasta gets cooked right in the pot. I paired the Baked Ziti with a caesar salad and some garlic bread, and wow – it was a winner!
The star of the dish is the Progresso’s Fire Roasted Tomato Recipe Starter sauce. It’s packed with roasted tomato and red bell pepper flavor, with basil and a touch of cream, which makes this easy skillet dish come together perfectly. Let me show you how simple this really is.
Start by browning up some italian sausage in your skillet, drain if necessary. I used a mild sausage, but a hot italian sausage would be fabulous in here too!
Pour in the Fire Roasted Tomato sauce.
Followed by the pasta and some water.
Give it a good stir to combine, then bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat and cook until the pasta is tender.
Top with some mozzarella cheese.
Throw in a little fresh basil, cover it up for a couple minutes until the cheese gets melted and you’re ready to serve!
I know it’s not technically “baked” so if you really want to, you can put your oven-safe skillet under the broiler for a few minutes to quickly get a baked top. It’s not necessary though, because the cheese gets super melty all on it’s own from the hot pasta.
I mean… just look at that beauty.
That’s one hearty pasta dish that your whole family will love. And you’re going to love how quick it is to make. It’s a win-win for us all.
Did I mention the cheeeeeeeeeese??
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage (mild or hot)
- 9oz Progresso Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce Recipe Starter pouch
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1½ cups water
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 to 2 tbsp fresh basil, cut into thin strips
- Cook sausage in a 10 inch skillet over medium-high heat 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; drain.
- Stir in Fire Roasted Tomato Sauce, pasta, and water. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium.
- Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese and fresh basil. Cover and let stand 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately. Enjoy!
Compensation was provided by General Mills via Federated Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of General Mills.
For more easy dinner ideas, visit http://progresso.com/Products/Recipe-Starters