These Lemon Burst Cupcakes are literally bursting at the seams with fresh lemon flavor. I made the most delicious Lemonade Marshmallow Buttercream frosting to go on top of a lemonade enhanced vanilla cupcake, and then topped it all off with a surprise dollop of lemon curd right under the frosting.
I wanted something to brighten up my dreary start to Spring, and instantly LEMONS came to mind! And the color yellow. Because I miss the sun. I’m all about April showers bringing May flowers, but it’s been raining for the past 5 days and it needs to stop.
Here’s the deal with these cupcakes – They are NOT your average cupcake. They’re infused with lemonade and lightened up with greek yogurt. They’re moist, bright, and totally refreshing. I just took a box of vanilla cake mix and substituted the water with lemonade, and replaced the oil with plain greek yogurt. Brilliant!
I wanted to make a lemonade frosting, but the first attempt did not pan out well so I glanced around my pantry searching for something to jazz up my lemonade cupcakes. That’s when I spotted a jar of marshmallow fluff.
I knew instantly that I had to make a marshmallow buttercream frosting and infuse it with more lemonade and a touch of lemon zest for a pop of flavor. I couldn’t stop there… I grabbed a jar of lemon curd and gave a little dollop on top of each one. No cutting, no coring, just place it right on top, then pipe your frosting around it to seal it up.
I loved these cupcakes. They were so fresh and tasty, and exactly what I needed to brighten up my day!
I think the surprise lemon curd filling is the best part. I know my family was pleasantly surprised to find that delicious center!
That filling, the frosting, the moist and flavor filled cupcake… it’s hard to pick a favorite.
When all the components of these Lemon Burst Cupcakes are put together, you have one knock-out dessert!
Grab this easy recipe, and brighten up your day!
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1 cup lemonade
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (7oz) jar marshmallow fluff
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tbsp lemonade
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup jarred lemon curd
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the cake mix, lemonade, greek yogurt, and eggs on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 2 minutes. Fill cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from muffin tins to let cool on wire racks.
- Beat the butter until light and fluffy, add the marshmallow fluff, vanilla, 2 tbsp of lemonade and lemon zest. Beat until fully incorporated, scraping sides of bowl when needed. Gradually add the powdered sugar, again scraping sides of bowl when needed. Add more lemonade if you desire the frosting to be thinner consistency.
- Drop ½ tsp of lemon curd on top of each cooled cupcake, pipe the frosting around the lemon curd and swirl on top to cover. Decorate with yellow sprinkles or extra lemon zest if desired. Enjoy!