I’m sharing my favorite Classic Lasagna Recipe with you today!!
I love lasagna, and this easy recipe is prepared with the oven ready noodles so it’s quick to throw together.
I like to bulk up my lasagna with spinach and ground sausage; the spicy sausage to be exact. Feel free to use a more mild sausage, or no sausage at all if you prefer. I keep the sausage and spinach a separate layer than the sauce so it’s easy to customize the dish to the way you like it.
The base starts with spaghetti sauce. I use canned sauce + 1/2 cup of water to thin the sauce out and add extra moisture for the noodles to cook.
The creamy, cheesy filling that goes in-between the layers is a mixture of ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese. It’s bound together with egg, and flavored perfectly with a dash of pesto sauce.
You’ll brown the sausage and once it’s cooked you’ll throw in several handfuls of baby spinach, stirring it around until it wilts down. This delicious mix goes on top of the ricotta filling.
Technically I took several picture of the process to layer the lasagna, but it’s hard to see all the individual layers… so I drew you a picture…
Clearly I have too much time on my hands.
I’m a visual person, so I thought this might help some others that are visual as well.
Just always remember to cover with foil when baking. This will ensure that your noodles cook fully and your sauce won’t dry out. I take the foil off in the last few minutes to get the cheese nice and bubbly on top.
Nothing quite as comforting as some good ol’ fashion Lasagna!
- 9 (oven ready/no boil) Lasagna noodles
- 26.5oz can spaghetti sauce + ½ cup water
- 1 lb. ground Italian sausage
- 6 handfuls of baby spinach
- 16oz ricotta cheese
- 2½ cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp prepared pesto (from a jar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brown sausage in a large skillet, breaking up with a spoon until crumbled and no longer pink. Stir in spinach two handfuls at a time until it all wilts down. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine the spaghetti sauce and ½ cup water in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine the ricotta, 1 cup of mozzarella, parmesan, egg and pesto sauce. Stir until combined.
- Spread ½ cup of sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Line 3 lasagna noodles on top of sauce, spread half of the ricotta mixture evenly over the noodles. Top with ½ of the sausage mixture. Spread half of the remaining sauce over the sausage and top with 3 more noodles. Spread the remaining ricotta over the noodles, followed by the remaining sausage mixture. Top with the last 3 noodles and then the last of the spaghetti sauce. Top with the remaining 1½ cups mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 more minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!