Since the beginning of the year I’ve been attempting to replace things like white bread with whole grain bread, white rice with brown rice, chocolate with apples.
Ok, so that last one wasn’t true, but I have been trying to incorporate more brown rice with our meals. My family, is not a huge fan of brown rice. I used to make two cups of white rice for one meal and my family would eat the whole pot. Now I make 1 cup of brown rice and there are leftovers.
I decided to turn my leftover brown rice into something new and exciting. So I whipped up this Quick and Easy Brown Fried Rice!
Surprise, surprise, my family LOVED it. In fact, they didn’t even know that they were eating the dreaded brown rice. The nutty flavor and firmer texture of the brown rice absorbed all the bold Asian flavors of this one pot meal, and they loved every last bite.
This would make a great side dish for your Asian meal or you can add a little chicken, shrimp, pork, beef or even tofu to make it a complete meal!
I used some frozen peas and carrots to make it even easier to throw together.
You can definitely add more vegetables to your liking – red bell pepper, bean sprouts, corn kernels, edemame, etc. A classic fried rice to me always includes some scrambled eggs, but if you’re not into that then just leave it out. No harm done.
While we’re on the topic of my family not fully supporting my healthy eating quest…
I’m fully convinced my children are on their own personal quest to not let me get one peaceful nights sleep. Every time I’m so extremely exhausted from staying up late to finish the last episode of Downton Abby, or with bloodshot eyes because I just HAD to watch the last skit on SNL, without fail – as soon as my head hits the pillow one of my four children decides it’s the perfect time to wake up and start crying.
Then, once I finally get the crying child back to sleep, I think I’m in the clear and go back to sleep.
Only to be woken up 1.37 hours later by another crying child.
They’re wearing me down. Slowly but surely.
That’s why I left them at home with Dad for the rest of the week and took off to Las Vegas with some friends. Although, I doubt I’ll be getting much more sleep…
Don’t worry, I left them with a big batch of this Quick and Easy Brown Fried Rice along with a few other goodies.
Good luck, husband. Good luck.
You’re going to love this quick and easy (one pot) Brown Fried Rice. It comes together in no time!
- 2 eggs
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 3 cups cooked, cold brown rice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp chopped green onions
- In a large wok coated with non-stick spray, scramble the two eggs over medium heat then remove from pan to a plate to keep warm.
- Add the onion to the wok and stir, cooking until the onions have softened, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp of sesame oil to the wok and stir fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add the frozen peas and carrots and stir fry for an additional 2 minutes. Add the brown rice and stir to combine. Add the oyster sauce and soy sauce. Stir to heat through.
- Add the onions and eggs back in the wok and stir in the green onions. Heat through, serve immediately. Enjoy!