Can we talk stuffing? Or is it dressing?
Either way, it’s a staple at any Thanksgiving meal. There are so many options out there, but it’s basically just crusty bread that is smothered in tasty seasonings then baked to perfection.
But wait – if your oven is pre-occupied with a large turkey, when will that stuffing make it’s way in there?
I love this Crock Pot Sausage Stuffing recipe because it not only tastes amazing, but it frees up your oven and gives you the ability to spend your attention on more important matters – friends and family.
This Crock Pot Sausage Stuffing (or dressing 😉 ) has all the classics in there – celery, onion, mushrooms… but I added some sausage to give it just a little bit more of a smokey spice.
It all starts with the bread.
I used about 1 1/2 large french breads from the bakery section. I cut them into small cubes. It’s best if the bread is dried out. So leave the bread cubes out overnight, or toss them in the oven at a really low temperature (225* should work) for about an hour or so to dry them out.
Brown some sausage (do NOT use maple sausage). I find that just a regular ground sausage works best.
Saute all the onion, celery and mushrooms in a large skillet.
Combine everything in a large bowl, then pour in the liquids and seasonings. Stir it all up and place it in your lightly greased crock pot.
This stuffing is so easy to make and more importantly – super flavorful!
Even my husband, who is not a fan of stuffing, said this was the best stuffing he had ever tasted!
That’s a win in my book!
So if you’re looking to save room in the oven and still serve one mean side of stuffing this year, then give this Crock Pot Sausage Stuffing a try!
- 12 oz ground sausage
- 8 tbsp butter
- 1½ cups diced onion
- 1½ cups diced celery
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms
- 12 cups cubed french bread, dried out and crusty
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tsp salt (or more to taste)
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 to 2 cups chicken broth or stock (depending on how moist you like your stuffing)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Brown the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, then remove to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Return the skillet to the stove top, melt the butter over medium-high heat and add the onion, celery and mushrooms. Saute until the veggies are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Place the crusty bread in a very large bowl and add the sausage, sautéed veggies, the seasonings, 1 cup of chicken broth, and the lightly beaten eggs. Stir to combine. If needed, add a little more chicken broth to moisten the stuffing to your liking. Keep in mind that the moisture will not reduce much in the crock pot since there will be a lid on it.
- Pour your stuffing mixture into a lightly greased (7 quart) crock pot. Cover and set to Low for 4 hours. When done, stir gently and serve. Enjoy!