Today marks the first day of the last year in my 20’s.
I don’t really know how to feel about it yet, but I do know that I am going to celebrate my final year of being 20-something like a rock star.
And all the rock stars I know definitely celebrate their 29th birthday with Birthday Cake Egg Rolls.
Ok… so I might not really know any rock stars personally, and I may have just invented these Birthday Cake Egg Rolls…
But I’m certain that these Birthday Cake Egg Rolls will become more trendy than kale or quinoa.
At least in this house.
The truth is, these Birthday Cake Egg Rolls are freaking amazing.
I took a fun-fetti cake, wrapped it up in an egg roll wrapper, then fried it till golden brown. Once it was done I sprinkled in with cinnamon and sugar. It tastes like a delicious cake batter doughnut wrapped in a crispy churro like shell.
Oh yes, I just did that.
We’re ordering Chinese Food for my birthday dinner tonight, and what better way to have my cake than wrapped up in an egg roll?
It’s the best way, if you ask me.
So if you’re looking for a fun, new, “rock star” way to eat a birthday cake then you’ll definitely want to try these Birthday Cake Egg Rolls. It’s what all the cool 29 year olds are doing these days.
- 1 Fun-Fetti Cake Mix & necessary ingredients to prepare (egg whites, oil, and water)
- 24 Egg Roll Wrappers
- Oil for frying
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Chocolate Sauce (optional)
- Prepare cake according to box directions in 2 8x8 square pans. Let cool to room temperature, then cut the cake in half, then cut the two halves into 1 inch slices to make little rectangles.
- Heat 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees F.
- Place a rectangle of cake in the center of the egg roll wrapper. Dab your finger with a little water and run it along the edges of the egg roll wrapper. Fold the bottom corner of the wrapper up and over the cake, then fold in the right and left sides. Roll the egg roll away from you to seal it up. Repeat with the remaining cake rectangles.
- Fry in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile combine the cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove the egg roll from the oil and place on a paper towel lined plate. While still hot, roll it in the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Drizzle with chocolate sauce, and serve with ice cream (optional). Enjoy!