Homemade Buttermilk Syrup

I’ve learned a few things about being a Mother.

1. Bed time stories never end in your child falling peacefully to sleep. They always want “just one more book.”

2. We’re the only milk bar open at 2:30am.

3. Laundry and dishes never end. Never.

4. No matter how hard you try, at least one child will always have a booger face.

5. Just because you graduated school, doesn’t mean you wont have to do homework again.

6. Your children look to you for comfort, and love you endlessly.

It’s incredible being a Mother, and I couldn’t imagine life any other way.

This Mother’s Day it’s ok to ask for a special breakfast made by the kids. Just make sure you’ve made this easy homemade Buttermilk Syrup, and have it ready to be warmed up.

It can turn those …oh…pancakes… into PANCAKES!!

It’s a quick syrup, that comes together in just minutes and is so buttery and delicious you could drink it with a straw.

Just bring butter, sugar, buttermilk and a little corn syrup to a boil.

It will rise to double it’s size so make sure you start with a good size pan.

Add a bit of baking soda and vanilla extract.

It will quickly change to a nice golden brown color. Remove it from the heat and let it cool while stirring it occasionally.

You can either serve it right then,

Or store it in an air tight container (mason jars work great too), and store it in the fridge till you’re ready to use.

Don’t worry if the kid’s make some pancakes, waffles, or french toast with some sort of special “surprise” ingredient. This syrup can make anything taste great. It’s so rich and creamy with a slight caramel taste.

Like I said, drinking it with a straw is not unheard of.

Happy Mother’s Day!

Homemade Buttermilk Syrup

Yield: 2 cups

Ingredients

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tablespoon Light Karo Syrup
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions

1. *Make sure to use a pot with higher sides because the syrup will foam up to double it's size.
  2. Combine the butter, sugar, buttermilk, and Karo syrup in a pot and bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
  3. Add the baking soda and vanilla and stir till combined. The color of the syrup will turn to a golden brown. Remove from the heat and continue to stir till the syrup thickens. Let it cool and serve immediately, or store in fridge in an air tight container. (you can warm it up in the microwave)
  4. **it's great over ice cream as well!
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin
PinterestFacebookTwitterGoogle+StumbleUponShare and Enjoy!

Comments

1. [email protected] says:

Yeah the laundry and dishes never ends. I could have a pancake with this syrup to brighten up.

2. looks delicious! Hope you have a WONDERFUL Mother's Day!

3. I just LOVE you blog, Shawn!! Unfortunately, I'm always hungry when I read it ;) So excited you got to go away for a few days for the blog camp :) what a treat!! ;)
    My recent post back on the bandwagon…

4. iwashyoudry says:

Oh thanks Ali! Your blog is so great too! It initially inspired me to do my own! Your great!

5. iwashyoudry says:

Thanks diane! Hope you have a great mothers day too!!

6. foodstoriesblog says:

These pancakes look amazing. I hope you're looking the other way because I'm salivating all over the computer screen :-)
    My recent post Sandwich Bites with Sweet Mustard Sauce & Blog Love, Part 2

7. iwashyoudry says:

Feel free to come back and drool anytime! It's natural!

8. Fantastic looking pancakes and syrup!! Your right, I can just hear the words.."Oh pancakes, they're…..umm lovely ,mmm" LOL.
    Happy Mothers Day when it rolls around!

9. SO TRUE!

The syrup looks and sounds fantastic. Bookmarked!
    My recent post Cilantro-Lime Marinated Flank Steak

10. iwashyoudry says:

Thanks Gerry!

11. iwashyoudry says:

It's a staple in our fridge…just sayin!

12. What a treat. Iam a bit tired of maple and blueberry syrups. Now I have a new one I can try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

13. Ah yes, there is always some sort of surprise ingredient to be found in kid-made pancakes, which makes them even more special on Mother's Day. Cute post, Shawn and Happy Mother's Day to you!
    My recent post Mother’s Day Recipes: Breakfast, Lunch, Beverages & Desserts

14. Oh my goodness….that sounds amazing! I'm going to have to try this.
    My recent post White Chocolate Covered Long Stem Strawberries

15. iwashyoudry says:

Yes! This waaaay better than maple or blueberry…bring a straw!

16. iwashyoudry says:

Thanks Dara! Right back at ya!

17. gorgeous! You are really close to making caramel sauce and that is a beautiful thing…this looks so good!
    My recent post Steamed Brussels’s Sprouts and Broccoli with Cheezy Coconut Sauce

18. Your list made me laugh out loud! It's so true, every word! Buttermilk syrup is one of my favorites. Maybe I should make a batch before Sunday. ;)
    My recent post Chocolate Covered Strawberry Bites

19. This is so great…I have never even thought about making my own syrup. IT looks so caramely and amazing!

20. bakingserendipity says:

Happy Mother's Day! I love pancakes…and could definitely go for a stack smothered in this syrup tomorrow morning :) Yum

21. iwashyoudry says:

Please do!

22. iwashyoudry says:

Oh yes… this is right there with caramel. It's delish!

23. iwashyoudry says:

I have a quart sized mason jar full in my fridge! It's great on ice cream too!

24. iwashyoudry says:

That's what I'm planning on! Fingers crossed!! Happy mothers day to you too!

25. I've made a really similar syrup, and it is seriously DIVINE. The best. Amazing. It's a diet-killer in a pot!! And I loved your thoughts about motherhood! I don't think I ever had a bedtime story end in the child falling asleep!!